Jun 17, 2019
Ep.20 - What Happens When a Big Network Picks You?
Tim and Kyle explore the big podcast network paradox of how
being picked could be both the best thing and worst thing to happen
to your podcast.
Episode at a Glance:
- There is a lot of chaotic movement going on between big podcast
networks that some see as a Podcasting Bubble.
- Only we looked up the definition of
"bubble" and disagree.
- We see a trend where when a big podcast network loses star
players they start searching to supplement their content
- The same behavior happens in all other media too: Movie
Studios, TV Networks, Radio Stations, and now... Podcasting!
- Networks constantly poach other companies star players with
better deals and creative opportunities.
- If you sign on to a network that is influx you need to be wary
of their actual motives and their demands on your content.
What did we learn?
- Big podcast networks are going to be constantly changing,
buying new content, and trying to one-up each other.
- When these big podcast networks lose content creators, they
will need to fill the void with something new -- this could mean
you and your show.
- Think of having a big podcast network interested in your
contact like being called up in Major League Baseball.
- It's exciting to have your creation called up form the
podcasting "Minor Leagues" to the podcasting "Big Leagues".
- Having a big podcast network pick your show for the "The Big
Show" could be the best thing that ever happened to you and your
- However, a big network could also put restrictions and creative
limitations on your podcast.
- If you get the call, you need to be wary of the demands they
will have on your content.
- Tim thinks that small businesses will be looking to expand
advertising into new markets. They want to see this podcasting
thing work in their market. Big ones take the risk first... then
the smaller ones will to the benefit of all podcasters.
- Kyle thinks the Content Wars are coming! As these big podcast
networks lose their star talent they are going to start lurking
around the smaller networks and either buy their network or start
poaching their talent.
- Read our growing
list of podcast industry predictions for 2020!
- "Overnight success stories take a long time."
Visit our Sponsors!
- TODO: Way-Back Music
- TODO: Prediction Music
Visit the Podwrecked Lighthouse:
Podwrecked is a Gagglepod production. Learn more at