Apr 15, 2019
Ep.16 - Ain't Nobody Got Time for Podcasts Under 12
Tim and Kyle introduce you to Kidcasts and how producing
podcasts for children between 6-12 might be the opportunity you're
Episode at a Glance:
- Tim and Kyle explore the Kidcast podcasting landscape for a
growing audience of younger listeners.
- We touch on marketing to children and why it's a sensitive
topic with regards to Kidcast monetization.
- We end by talking about the potential Kids Education - Smart
What did we learn?
- Both Kyle and Tim agree that there are not enough
- Kyle talks about how Kidcasts are still a Blue Ocean when it
comes to your podcast production strategy.
- We find out how many Kidcasts are educational and well-produced
to keep children engaged.
- Kyle raves about Gimlet's Story Pirates and why that show's
format and marketing strategy is something to pay attention
- The myth that kids have short attention spans when it comes to
kidcasts is just that -- a myth.
- Sponsors can monetize a kidcast podcast, but it needs to be
monitored by both producers and parents.
- Disney Kidcasts have yet to gain traction but could become a
strong competitor in the children podcasting space over the next
- Tim points out that your first two (2) listens will be the
parents. If it's good? Your next 100 listens will be super loyal
- Kyle and Tim both think that Kidcasts could be one of the
genres that is a natural fit for podcasting paywalls (which is
something that Disney is already considering).
- Tim sees Disney as the high-quality mark in Kidcasts.
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) Kidcasts make
up the majority of the market for children podcasting right
- There are 1.6-million home-schooled students that could benefit
from fitting remote teaching into their lesson plans by leveraging
STEM Kidcast podcasts.
- We touch briefly on where smart speakers fit into the Kidcast
- "A podcast aimed at 3-10-year-olds that parents could
actually tolerate—if you could do it right—would be an unbelievable
hit." ― Matt Lieber, Gimlet
Other Podwrecked Episode Mentions:
- TODO: Way-Back Music
- TODO: Prediction Music
Kidcasts Mentioned in this Episode:
Signal to Podwrecked:
Podwrecked is a Gagglepod production. Learn more at