Jun 11, 2019
Ep.19 - Why is Your Podcast Still Not Being Found?
Tim and Kyle introduce you to the new SEO for podcasting called
Podcast Discovery Optimization (PDO) and why it matters to how your
podcast is found.
Episode at a Glance:
- We celebrate our second year of doing Virginia Podcaster's
Association (VAPODA) meetups at Germanna Community College -- it's
a great place to find out what real podcast newbies are struggling
- The Virginia Podcaster's Association (VAPODA) is a great place
to find out what real podcast newbies are struggling with
- We explore what happened when we looked up a new podcaster's
podcast using Pocket Cast (Hint: We discover that different
podcasts can have the same name!)
- "Conversating" becomes the Word of the Day
- We throw friend of the show Mathew Passy a whole lot of
What did we learn?
- Welcome to Podcast Discovery Optimization (PDO)
- This is the "what does my website look like on other browsers?"
- Followed by the "what does my website look like on other
phones?" B-side sleeper hit.
- Now, it's "what does my podcast look like on all apps?"... or
even the better question: "IS my podcast in all the apps?"
- You have to look up your podcast because you can't fix what you
- We thought a podcast name needed to be unique. Nope! Turns out
you can have the EXACT SAME NAME in Apple Podcasts (iTunes)! We
didn't know that was possible
- We find out that not all podcasting statistics are created
equal and not all hosts let you know where your listeners are
- We know that not all hosts use IAB Standards but when you mix
downloads with streaming with listens we can see why newbies get
New Podcasting Terms: Which is your
- Podcast Reliability Engineering (PRE)
- Podcast Search Optimization (PSO)
- Podcast Visualization Optimization (PVO)
- Podcast Discovery Optimization (PDO)
PDO Recommendations for Podcasters:
- 1. Stay away from a podcast with the same name because it's
hard to find your podcast next to the others already
- 2. Don't confuse your audience by being similar
- 3. The answer to your show's name is in your content if you're
looking for it
- 4. Massage your message by making your name stand out from the
- 5. Search your own podcast on all the apps -- Yup! All of
- 6. Do the work now, save the struggle for other fights not
related to having to keep telling people which podcast is
- 7. Go through all the apps and see if you're on your favorite
- 8. If it gets crazy, get someone to help you with Podcast
Discovery Optimization (PDO) if you're not showing up (like Mathew
Passy - The Podcast Consultant)
- "Apple has always been about empowering people to build
great things. From iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, and Garageband, Apple has
always been at the center of technology and liberal arts. It’s now
time for Apple to simplify the podcast creation experience."
-- Bradley Chambers, 9to5mac.com
Special Thanks to Friend-of-the-Show Mathew Passy! If
you need some serious help with your podcast, Mathew is the guy to
call. Find him on the Interwebs here:
Visit our Sponsors!
- TODO: Way-Back Music
- TODO: Prediction Music
Visit the Podwrecked Lighthouse:
Podwrecked is a Gagglepod production. Learn
more at gagglepod.com.