Jan 18, 2019
Ep.9 -Is Google Podcasts too late or just in time?
Tim and Kyle take a deep dive into Google's strategy for putting
practically zero effort into marketing their new podcast
application: Google Podcasts.
Episode at a Glance:
- Tim and Kyle talk about Google's June 2018 announcement of
their stand-alone podcasting app launch.
- Do some thinking on why 55 percent of all US users and 86
percent of the world are on phones with the Android OS, but Google
Podcasts only accounts for only 0.9 percent of total listens.
What did we learn?
- The biggest complaint about Google Podcasts is that it's an app
and not native to Andriod OS like Apple Podcasts is to iOS.
- Even if someone DOES download the app, does the app have
everything you want in a podcast listening application? Only for
those who don't know what podcasting is
- Not everyone is in the Google Ecosystem... Yet! Google Podcasts
is all about connecting people to Google Assistant and having a
podcast player they can use in the car.
- This is not an attempt by Google to put your favorite podcast
app out of business. This is Google's on-ramp to podcasting if
you've never listened to podcasts before.
- This is Google's slow move towards the future where they move
past directories and jump straight into audio indexing.
- "I think the power-listeners who criticize Google Podcasts
for being too simple miss the point. It’s like a wine connoisseur
criticizing a child for drinking Capri Sun." -- Daniel J.
- "The new Podcasts app is but one tiny piece of a much
grander goal." -- JR Raphael
Reach out to Podwrecked:
Podwrecked is a Gagglepod Production. Learn more at gagglepod.com.