Dec 7, 2018
Ep.5 - Do You Have the Right to Be Heard?
Tim and Kyle talk about the light and fluffy topic of free
speech rights, banning content, and shutting down extremists, and
Episode at a Glance:
- You have a right to free speech, but you don't have a right to
What did we learn?
- Podcasting is one of the last mediums for truly free
- Hate speech is hard to define
- When you start deplatforming content based on what you find
disagreeable, where does it stop? And who decides what is
- If your hosting podcasts you need to be upfront about your
Terms of Service.
- To keep it fair, if you start banning content on the so-called
"Alt-Right", then you have to start banning content on the
so-called "Alt-Left" too. But who decides? No one knows.
- The solution to hate speech in podcasting is MORE SPEECH, not
- Nobody is listening to these garbage podcasts anyway, so don't
keep giving them more attention.
- We have to uphold a free press and freedom of speech --
because, in the end, lies and misinformation are no match for the
truth. -- Barack Obama
- There is nothing I can say in this podcast [...] that would
infringe upon someone else's freedom [...]. -- Sam Harris
- Countries that censor news and information must recognize that
from an economic standpoint, there is no distinction between
censoring political speech and commercial speech. -- Hillary
- There's no fine line between "free speech" and "hate speech":
Free speech is hate speech; it's for the speech you hate – and for
all your speech that the other guy hates. If you don't have free
speech, then you can't have an honest discussion. -- Mark
Reach out to Podwrecked:
Podwrecked is a Gagglepod Production. Learn more at gagglepod.com.